27 June 2006

WindizUpdate: Windows Update for Firefox users

I switched from Internet Explorer to Firefox years ago, partly because IE had stagnated, but moreso because Firefox had fewer exploited security vulnerabilities.

I'm on Windows XP, which uses IE by default for everything. I configured XP to make Firefox my default browser, but there was still one place where I was required to use IE: Microsoft's Windows Update.

Windows Update is the source of security patches and critical updates for Microsoft's products. Given the popularity of Windows XP, and the frequency of new critical vulnerabilities, I visit this site regularly to keep my machine patched. But it doesn't work well with Firefox.

Now there's a solution: WindizUpdate. This site works with Firefox and provides a clean interface to the latest Microsoft patches. Just like in IE, you can scan for vulnerabilities and apply the needed patches fairly easily.

WindizUpdate

No comments: